Windows installers for Aspell 0.6 dictionaries
Angus Leeming
2006-03-05 22:59:50 UTC
Hi, Kevin.

I see that the http://aspell.net/win32/ page is a little out of date. Are you
interested in updating the Windows installers for the aspell dictionaries to
aspell version 0.6? If so, I've uploaded Windows installers for 78 Aspell 0.6
dictionaries to the LyX wiki site.

As it says in the explanatory blurb at http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Aspell6,
these .exe files were generated by pulling over the .tar.bz2 files on the
aspell ftp site. The shell and NSIS scripts that performed the whole thing
are available from

http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Windows/Aspell6/aspell_dict.nsi
http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Windows/Aspell6/aspell_dict.sh

It took about 50 minutes to grab the sources and build the .exe files in a
Cygwin shell on this 2.7GHz box running Windows XP. It took another hour or
so to upload them to the LyX wiki site with an ADSL upload rate of 256kB/s.

If you are interested in grabbing the .exe files but don't want to rebuild
these things yourself, I list the .exe files below. I'd imagine wget would
pull 'em across pretty easily.

Regards,
Angus

http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Windows/Aspell6/

aspell6-af-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-am-0.03-1.exe
aspell6-az-0.02-0.exe
aspell6-be-0.01.exe
aspell6-bg-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-bn-0.01.1-1.exe
aspell6-br-0.50-2.exe
aspell6-ca-20040130-1.exe
aspell6-cs-20040614-1.exe
aspell6-csb-0.02-0.exe
aspell6-cy-0.50-3.exe
aspell6-da-1.4.42-1.exe
aspell6-de-20030222-1.exe
aspell6-el-0.50-3.exe
aspell6-en-6.0-0.exe
aspell6-eo-0.50-2.exe
aspell6-es-0.50-2.exe
aspell6-et-0.1.21-1.exe
aspell6-fa-0.02-0.exe
aspell6-fi-0.7-0.exe
aspell6-fo-0.2.16-1.exe
aspell6-fr-0.50-3.exe
aspell6-ga-3.5-0.exe
aspell6-gd-0.1.1-1.exe
aspell6-gl-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-gu-0.02-0.exe
aspell6-gv-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-he-0.9-0.exe
aspell6-hil-0.11-0.exe
aspell6-hr-0.51-0.exe
aspell6-hsb-0.01-1.exe
aspell6-hu-0.99.4.2-0.exe
aspell6-ia-0.50-1.exe
aspell6-id-1.2-0.exe
aspell6-is-0.51.1-0.exe
aspell6-it-2.2_20050523-0.exe
aspell6-ku-0.12-0.exe
aspell6-la-20020503-0.exe
aspell6-lt-1.1+cvs20060103-0.exe
aspell6-lv-0.5.5-1.exe
aspell6-mg-0.03-0.exe
aspell6-mi-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-mk-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-mn-0.01-0.exe
aspell6-mr-0.10-0.exe
aspell6-ms-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-mt-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-nds-0.01-0.exe
aspell6-nl-0.50-2.exe
aspell6-nn-0.50.1-1.exe
aspell6-no-0.50-2.exe
aspell6-ny-0.01-0.exe
aspell6-or-0.03-1.exe
aspell6-pa-0.01-1.exe
aspell6-pl-0.51-0.exe
aspell6-pt-0.50-2.exe
aspell6-qu-0.02-0.exe
aspell6-ro-0.50-2.exe
aspell6-ru-0.99f7-1.exe
aspell6-rw-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-sc-1.0.exe
aspell6-sk-0.52-0.exe
aspell6-sl-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-sr-0.02.exe
aspell6-sv-0.51-0.exe
aspell6-sw-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-ta-20040424-1.exe
aspell6-te-0.01-2.exe
aspell6-tet-0.1.1.exe
aspell6-tl-0.02-1.exe
aspell6-tn-1.0.1-0.exe
aspell6-tr-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-uk-1.1-0.exe
aspell6-uz-0.5-0.exe
aspell6-vi-0.01.1-1.exe
aspell6-wa-0.50-0.exe
aspell6-yi-0.01.1-1.exe
aspell6-zu-0.50-0.exe
Kevin Atkinson
2006-03-06 05:52:07 UTC
Post by Angus Leeming
Hi, Kevin.
I see that the http://aspell.net/win32/ page is a little out of date. Are you
interested in updating the Windows installers for the aspell dictionaries to
aspell version 0.6? If so, I've uploaded Windows installers for 78 Aspell 0.6
dictionaries to the LyX wiki site.
Thanks. I will look at these sometime this or next week and if things
look OK will upload them to the Aspell site. BY I post your email in case
others have problem with them. I personally am not willing to support
them.
Joost Verburg
2006-03-06 22:38:10 UTC
Post by Kevin Atkinson
Thanks. I will look at these sometime this or next week and if things
look OK will upload them to the Aspell site. BY I post your email in
case others have problem with them. I personally am not willing to
support them.
I'm currently finishing a Windows installer for Aspell 0.6 and the
installers for all available dictionaries.

There is one remaining issue: I cannot get the
--enable-win32-relocatable configure option to work. So Aspell always
looks inside one hard-coded path for dictionaries and I cannot create an
installer that allows the user to choose where to install Aspell.

Do you have any idea how this can be fixed?

Joost
Angus Leeming
2006-03-10 11:37:08 UTC
Post by Joost Verburg
There is one remaining issue: I cannot get the
--enable-win32-relocatable configure option to work. So Aspell always
looks inside one hard-coded path for dictionaries and I cannot create an
installer that allows the user to choose where to install Aspell.
Do you have any idea how this can be fixed?
Hi, Joost. I'm not ignoring your efforts here, but I'm busy ATM. I'll get back
to this when things elsewhere calm down a little.

Angus
Stephen Harris
2006-03-10 14:39:21 UTC
I put this file and explanation on the LyX Wiki so there would
be no hurry to finish the Aspell project for .60.4 and also LyX
has a spellchecking bug that won't be fixed until 1.4.1 so users
could go on using spellchecking in LyX137 if they so choose.
I won't advertise it on the User list in case this idea does not
meet with approval.

http://wiki.lyx.org/ipfm/index.php?dir=Windows/New%20Directory
The directory is named Aspell6ziphelper and contains aspell.zip
and AspellZipReadme.txt

Aspell.zip is intended to provide the suport for both WinLyX137
and WinLyX140 to benefit from spellchecking. Install from the
C:\ directory into a clean C:\Aspell; then install a dictionary
provided by Angus/Joost at http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Aspell6

In my case I used, aspell6-en-6.0-0.exe, Aspell-en-0.50-2-3.exe,
and Aspell-0-50-3-3-Setup.exe in that order. This allows both
versions of LyX to use Aspell as the spellechecker. I used the
defaults and didn't make use of any choices offered. This is a
temporary measure until a better method is implemented. Nothing
is written to the Registry so one can uninstall these zipfiles
by deleting them. Use Add/Remove programs where appropriate.

Regards,
Stephen
Joost Verburg
2006-03-10 16:43:11 UTC
Post by Stephen Harris
I put this file and explanation on the LyX Wiki so there would
be no hurry to finish the Aspell project for .60.4 and also LyX
has a spellchecking bug that won't be fixed until 1.4.1 so users
could go on using spellchecking in LyX137 if they so choose.
The problem with Aspell is only related to the command line version that
is not used by LyX anyway.

So there is no need to put publish a zip file, an installer that does
the same thing automatically will be available soon.

Joost
Stephen Harris
2006-03-10 18:12:00 UTC
2006-03-10 18:56:09 UTC
Post by Stephen Harris
The spellchecking for LyX137 works well. And in this dual setup,
that allows using LyX137/Aspell0.53 and LyX140/Aspell0.60.4;
the command line invokes the LyX137 version.
I don't understand what you mean. Aspell itself is linked statically in
every LyX build, so the files you need are:

* Generic data files (for Aspell 0.60 they are in
C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60, Aspell 0.50 has a different location)

* Dictionaries (again in C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60 for 0.60 and
somewhere else for 0.50)

So if you install Aspell 0.50 inside C:\Aspell in the usual way, LyX
1.3.7 will work.

For LyX 1.4.0, the new installers set up everything for Aspell 0.60 in
C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60. This means that 1.3.7 will continue to work.

The installers (one for the data files and lots of dictionary
installers) are finished. I attached all files to build them. Once Angus
has uploaded the installers (I have no access to the server), they will
be ready for everyone to use.

Joost
Joost Verburg
2006-03-10 20:06:13 UTC
Post by Joost Verburg
The installers (one for the data files and lots of dictionary
installers) are finished. I attached all files to build them. Once Angus
has uploaded the installers (I have no access to the server), they will
be ready for everyone to use.
Minor update: Add --ignore=Copyright to the ls command on line 213 of
the shell script

This will prevent this file to be included in the list file (it's only
for the installer license screen).

Joost
Angus Leeming
2006-03-17 02:02:00 UTC
Post by Joost Verburg
Post by Joost Verburg
The installers (one for the data files and lots of dictionary
installers) are finished. I attached all files to build them. Once
Angus has uploaded the installers (I have no access to the server),
they will be ready for everyone to use.
Minor update: Add --ignore=Copyright to the ls command on line 213 of
the shell script
This will prevent this file to be included in the list file (it's only
for the installer license screen).
Ok, Joost, Stephen. Please check out http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Aspell6
where you'll find the new version of all files. At least, I assume you will
in about 1 hour. Files are currently uploading.

If you can confirm that all is well with these, then I'll move on to LyX
itself.

Regards,
Angus
Stephen Harris
2006-03-10 20:21:03 UTC
2006-03-17 06:04:10 UTC
Everything seems to work. I started with a clean C:\aspell
and installed the new Aspell data files first, as customary.

The *.cmap/cset etc. were installed to C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60
as I think they are supposed to be. But the default on the installer
reads C:\Aspell. Should this default read C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60
like the default for the dictionary install? It doesn't work to change
the default data install to C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60 because an extra
\lib gets inserted, so a user needs to keep the default of C:\Aspell.

I guess it wouldn't come up as an issue for the ordinary user who did
not know the destination directory (unless they installed the dict first).

Works good,
Stephen
Joost Verburg
2006-03-17 21:04:14 UTC
Thanks Angus. I can also confirm that they work fine.
Post by Stephen Harris
The *.cmap/cset etc. were installed to C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60
as I think they are supposed to be. But the default on the installer
reads C:\Aspell. Should this default read C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60
like the default for the dictionary install? It doesn't work to change
the default data install to C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60 because an extra
\lib gets inserted, so a user needs to keep the default of C:\Aspell.
The user should not have to worry about the specific location for the
files but only have to tell the installer where to install Aspell. It
would indeed be better to get that behavior as well for the dictionary
installers.

Attached you'll find the dictionary installer script with this update.
The data script only contains a small fix to allow compilation in
locations other than C:\Aspell.

Joost
Angus Leeming
2006-03-17 21:53:39 UTC
Post by Stephen Harris
The *.cmap/cset etc. were installed to C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60
as I think they are supposed to be. But the default on the installer
reads C:\Aspell. Should this default read C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60
like the default for the dictionary install? It doesn't work to change
the default data install to C:\Aspell\lib\aspell-0.60 because an extra
\lib gets inserted, so a user needs to keep the default of C:\Aspell.
The user should not have to worry about the specific location for the
files but only have to tell the installer where to install Aspell. It
would indeed be better to get that behavior as well for the dictionary
installers.
Attached you'll find the dictionary installer script with this update.
The data script only contains a small fix to allow compilation in
locations other than C:\Aspell.
Hi, Joost.

Am I right in thinking that I don't actually need to use this again? Ie, the
AspellData-0.60.4.exe that's on the wiki is perfectly fine for LyX's purposes?

Assuming that's the case, why not try and upload this .nsi script to the wiki
yourself? http://wiki.lyx.org/ipfm/login.php, login "lyx", password "LyXers",
then navigate to Windows/Aspell6

Angus
Joost Verburg
2006-03-17 22:07:55 UTC
Post by Angus Leeming
Am I right in thinking that I don't actually need to use this again? Ie, the
AspellData-0.60.4.exe that's on the wiki is perfectly fine for LyX's purposes?
Assuming that's the case, why not try and upload this .nsi script to the wiki
yourself? http://wiki.lyx.org/ipfm/login.php, login "lyx", password "LyXers",
then navigate to Windows/Aspell6
I'm not able to delete or overwrite existing files (access denied).

The data installer does not have to be recompiled, but I think it would
be a good thing to upload new dictionary installers with the default
folder update.

Joost
Angus Leeming
2006-03-17 22:47:03 UTC
Post by Joost Verburg
Post by Angus Leeming
Am I right in thinking that I don't actually need to
use this again? Ie, the AspellData-0.60.4.exe that's
on the wiki is perfectly fine for LyX's purposes?
Assuming that's the case, why not try and upload this .nsi
script to the wiki yourself? http://wiki.lyx.org/ipfm/login.php,
login "lyx", password "LyXers", then navigate to Windows/Aspell6
I'm not able to delete or overwrite existing files (access denied).
Ok, that's because I cheated and used scp rather than the wiki upload page. The
owner:group of these files is leeming:wiki rather than wiki:wiki.
Post by Joost Verburg
The data installer does not have to be recompiled, but I think it would
be a good thing to upload new dictionary installers with the default
folder update.
Ok, will do.
Angus
Angus Leeming